QuickBooks Error 15102 is an update error related to filed payroll updates. Accountants using QuickBooks Desktop would often use payroll to automatically calculate employee salaries. This will include the gross pay and net pay along with other crucial components included in the payslip. This is one reason why a problem with the payroll update can be a big concern for any accountant.
Once you get this error, it may be difficult for you to continue using the rest of your QuickBooks program. The error typically says, “Error 15102: Failed to reset update”. In some cases, this error may also occur when trying to update QuickBooks Desktop.
Users who faced this error found the main reason behind the error to be one of the following:
- The download location is either invalid or inaccessible even when shared download is turned on. This means that the updates cannot be downloaded, and this is the reason why the installation keeps failing.
- If you are using QuickBooks in multiuser mode and it is running in a terminal services environment then it is likely that you may see this error.
- Windows Vista users have reported this problem when they are not logged in as the administrator, or they are not using the program as an admin.
- An old version of QuickBooks can also be the cause of this problem.
Keeping these causes in mind, let us look at the solutions for this error.
Solution 1 – Switch to Single User Mode
If a company file is being accessed by multiple users during an update, then it is likely that you may run into errors. To solve the problem, you can switch to single user mode. After the update is complete, you can return to multi-user mode following the same steps.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop
- Open the File menu by clicking on ‘File’
- Select ‘Single user mode’
Run the updates again to check if the problem has been resolved. If the problem was related to the payroll tax table update then you can download the tax table by following these steps:
- Go to Employees menu
- Choose the option that says, ‘Get Payroll Updates’
- Click on the checkbox next to, ‘Download entire update’
- Then select ‘Download Latest Update’
- Once the download is complete, you will see a window which confirms the same.
Solution 2 – Make sure that the mapped file location is correct
In some cases, the mapped location may be different from the information available in the download location. This can cause a problem in downloading and installing the updates properly. To fix this problem, we verify the mapped file location and ensure that the i